Long before rifles and firearms, bows were used by our ancestors for hunting. They used spears and bows, along with their sharp survival instincts. That’s why nowadays, bow hunting is closer to our history than any other weapon. People love bow hunting because it needs expertise, precision and the margin of error is narrow. This brings more challenge and excitement to the hunting. Using bows, especially compound bows might need quite some practice. Blissfully, equipment like the best bow release is there to help with accuracy and precision.
Best Bow Release For Hunting | Our Top Picks
|Product Name||Type||Spring Type||Adjustable Trigger Travel?||Weight (ounces)||Rating (out of 5)|
|TruFire Patriot Archery Release|
|Velcro Strap, Both hands||Manual||Yes||4||4.1|
|TruFire Smoke Adjustable Archery Release||Buckle Strap, Both hands||Automatic||Yes||4||4.2|
|TruFire Hardcore Buckle Foldback Adjustable Archery Release||Buckle Strap, Both hands||Automatic||Yes||4||4.4|
|TruFire Hurricane Extreme Buckle Web Archery Release||Buckle Strap, Both hands||Automatic||Yes||4.8||4.2|
|Tru-Fire Edge 4-Finger Hand Held Bow Release ||Handheld, Both hands||Automatic||Not Applicable||4.3||4.3|
|TruFire Patriot Power Strap Archery Release||Velcro Strap, Both hands||Manual||Yes||4||3.9|
|Barnett Crossbows Crank Cocking Device||Cocking device, Both hand handle.||Manual||Not Applicable||2.2||3.8|
#1 Cheap Compound Bow Release
Have you ever heard of underdogs in a winning streak? Well, The TruFire Patriot Archery Compound Bow Release ensembles that scenario. It might not be the most sophisticated on the market, but for the price, it really keeps your work going.
Suitable for beginners, or even veterans, this product coming from TruFire means it possesses better quality than low budget, cut-rate products.
The dimension of the product is 10.5 x 5.2 x 1.8 inches while weighing only 4 ounces. The trigger and jaws are black coated to offer durable service.
The TruFire comes with a V-shaped nylon wrist strap. The strap is not bad, especially not itchy due to the fabric on the inner part. This strap is Velcro, so you have to be careful about when you wear it or take off. It goes without saying, you can adjust the strap according to your suitability.
This here is a both hand strap. The mechanism is fairly simple, you pull the trigger to release the string. However, the trigger is not two-way, which means you have to lock the calibers by manually moving the trigger. The trigger travel distance can be adjusted.
You have to be careful about retaining the trigger position before making an attempt to draw again. This release is great for practice, and for the price, it can be the release that you simply keep in your pocket as a backup.
- The price is cheap and the quality is good for the price. Best cheap bow release.
- The nylon wrist strap doesn’t wear or tear easily.
- Adjustable strap can be worn in both hands.
- Smooth and silent trigger action.
- The trigger is not two ways, which you need to remind when you’re in a hurry.
- The Velcro isn’t 100% soundproof.
#2 Best Bow Release For The Money
Flexible, adjustable and easy to use. The TruFire Smoke Adjustable Archery Compound Bow Release comes with an adjustable strap, trigger. Also, the release can be folded back which gives you the freedom to use your phone, or GPS without the release getting on your way.
The dimension of the product is 8 x 2 x 0.8 inches. The V-shaped strap is made of nylon which provides durability and comfort as well. The strap is buckle type. So, it will silent.
The strap is compatible with both hands. The buckle strap comes with fold back ring and adjustment of 5/8 which means you can fit the release nicely with your hands. Also, glassing or climbing would be no problem as there will be no whipping or harshness.
The dual jaw is sturdy and the dime sized head ensures the release is smooth and soundless. This release is perfect for those who like to wait and stalk their game, using GPS, binoculars, and don’t want to take the release off in the process.
Features like trigger thumb adjustment and trigger travel adjustment ensure that the release can be used by people of various age and physique. You can adjust the thumb to any of the 16 positions to avoid stain to your finger.
- The wrist strap is padded and comfortable. Best bow release for the money.
- The release can be folded back for other need and comfort.
- The dime-sized head is rugged and ensured a balanced, even string release.
- The trigger thumb can be adjusted to 16 positions. Choose whatever position you like.
- The trigger might produce a metallic sound when pulled back or adjusted. Be aware to do so beforehand.
#3 Best Hunting Bow Release
With great padding, comes great comfort! The TruFire Hardcore Buckle Foldback release is the latest, advanced TruFire product on the rise. It offers amazing adjustability along with easy and light trigger pull. The release is fully adjustable according to your comfort.
The dimension of the product is 10.5 x 5.2 x 1.8 inches, and the weight is 4 ounces only. The bow release features comfortable buckle strap which comes in a camo design. This product is made in the USA, and quality was assured in every step of the production. One of the best compound bow releases on the market.
The trigger design is aerodynamic with along with length adjustment of 5/8 inches. The trigger is very light and it can be swept back. So climbing or hiking keeping your release in hand is easier. The trigger pressure can be determined within a range from 3 ounces to 16 ounces.
The automatic and self-closing hook comes with a 20 degree pivoting head. This is the only wrist release to have such feature. The head can be pivoted to either right or left to avoid torque.
The product can be used with both hands. The length can be adjusted to 1 inch and locked so that the loop doesn’t slip off. The release spontaneously brings your center shot into line. So the chance of error is reduced.
- The strap is one of the most luxurious and comfortable ones on the market. Best hunting bow release according to many users.
- The trigger is light, fold back and adjustable.
- Made in the USA and made for prolonged, serious use.
- Tru center technology, the head can be pivoted right or left to avoid torque.
- Adjustable trigger pressure from 3-16 ounces.
- Comes with a greater price range, but it justifies that price.
#4 Best Bow Release For Accuracy
If you want to stick with the TruFire product, yet do not have enough budget to spare, this one can be your choice. In a low price, you’ll get one top quality, automatic and durable release.
When it comes to comfort, nothing can beat the TruFire Hurricane Extreme Buckle Web Archery Compound Bow Release. The double thick wrist strap is easy on the wrist and suitable for carrying on long hunting sessions.
The dimension of the product is 10.5 x 5.2 x 2.2 inches while weighing 4.8 ounces. The buckle is made of durable Camo nylon. The release is nonstick coated so that it can go for seasons without any damage.
The strap fits on both hands. You don’t need any tool to adjust it, set it to any length you want. The ½ inch web connection mechanism connects the strap and the head, and you can adjust the length according to your preference.
Simple design, yet one of the most convenient trigger settings on the market. The product features a dual caliper release, with an automatic spring load system. The jaws open upon pulling the trigger and close automatically after shooting.
The trigger level is adjustable and that is something great for people with a small or big knuckle. You can adjust the trigger travel to a length that comforts you.
The trigger pressure is good. For example, it takes only 35 ounces of pressure to fire the trigger for a 70-pound bow.
- 100% American-made product. Good quality with a low price tag.
- Very comfortable buckle with thick padding.
- Adjustable length and trigger level. One of the best bow releases for accuracy.
- Automatic spring loaded system so that you can be ready for the next shot immediately.
- The belt buckle might feel bulky on your wrist.
#5 Best Archery Thumb Release
With Tru-Fire Edge 4-Finger Hand Held Bow Release, we are stepping into the world of professionals. This outstanding release is used by veteran hunters and tournament players. Although it needs some mastering, once you’re habituated to it, you will get precise and targeted shooting almost every time.
The size of the release is 3.9 x 1.2 x 3.2 inches, it comes with 4.3 ounces of weight. The body is made of CNC machined aluminum, slim in shape and a camo pattern giving it a great outlook.
The product features a thumb and finger release mechanism. The trigger is spring loaded and comes with a dual caliper. When you twitch the trigger, the jaws open and they close automatically after the shooting.
The head of the release comes with a 360-degree rotation system. This facilitates the hunter a torque free shooting and helps him shoot from any angle he feels comfortable. The release can be used by both hands.
You can adjust the settings of the release, specifically the trigger travel and thumb knob. The trigger thumb can be adjusted to one of the 16 positions according to convenience.
- Made in the USA and come with a superb quality.
- Suitable for those who prefer handheld release more than wrist strap type.
- The 360-degree rotation of the head helps to prevent torque, thus providing precision shooting.
- The trigger thumb can be adjusted to different positions. Best archery thumb release right now.
- Smooth surface, hard to grip wearing gloves.
- The probability of dropping it if not careful.
#6 Best Youth Bow Release
If you’ve been meaning to take your child to a hunting trip, this release here can give him a taste of shooting. Or they can use it for practicing archery in the backyard. The TruFire Patriot Power Strap Archery Compound Bow Release provides a comfortable strap for juniors. Also, the mechanism ensures hassle-free, precise shooting by using the fingers only.
The product is one of the cheapest on the market. So you can always keep it, even as a backup without daunting your budget.
The measurement of the release is 11.2 x 5.5 x 2 inches. And the weight is 4 ounces. The strap comes with a durable and comfortable nylon, resistant to any sudden wear and tear. The closure system is Velcro, so you can take it off and on within a few seconds.
The trigger is adjustable, which is an important feature for juniors. The length between the trigger and the strap can be adjusted more than 1” for convenience.
This bow release is ambidextrous. Which means it can be used by both hands. The trigger is not fully automated. Which means you have to retain the position of the trigger manually after shooting.
The jaws are wide and effective. They come through heat treatment system and are Teflon coated to ensure a long service.
- Made in the USA, economical, good quality for the price.
- Unlike other releases on the market, this one is specialized for children. Best youth bow release according to users.
- The adjustable trigger helps to shoot comfortably.
- Jaws are rugged, heat treated and Teflon covered.
- The release is not advised for adult men, as the strap might feel tight.
#7 Best Crossbow Cocking Device
This one here is specially made for crossbows. The Barnett Crossbows Crank Cocking Device, Black can be integrated with crossbow stock for convenient use. This ensures a low profile for the product.
The crank cocking devices provide you a lot of advantages. Like loading your crossbow with less effort and precisely. A crank device also permits you to pause the cocking action anytime, the string will be fixed and still, you know how tough it is to do with bare hands.
The dimension of the product is 12 x 6 x 4 inches, and the weight is 2.2 pounds. Upon mounting, the device stays almost unseen, which other devices on the market often fail to do.
The device decreases the cocking tension down to 17 pounds, making it easy for you. Check the link below to check which models the device is compatible with.
The using procedure is simple. Pull the sled upon the string and rotate the handle. The handle won’t rotate back as there is anti-reverse safety design. So there is nothing to worry about even you let go the handle. The handle can be used by both hands, and if you want you can remove it.
- Pulling back the string is as hard as it can be, the Barnett device help with the process.
- Made of high-quality materials, durable and strong. Minimalist design.
- Can be used with almost all the popular crossbow models. However, check the compatible bow list before you purchase.
- Anti-reverse safety device removes your worry about the handle.
- The best crossbow cocking device on the market.
- The manufacturers should come with more clear instruction manual. However, there are a lot of videos available to help you with that.
Why You Need A Bow Release
If you are a beginner, even a seasoned hunter, bow release can improve your proficiency and accuracy while shooting. In bowhunting, deviating even a centimeter from the target path might result in missing the game by meters. Worse, you might end up with wounding the animal instead of a kill shot, initiating a chase and suffering of that creature.
Here’s how you can miss a target. If you use your fingers to release the string and make a staggered release, the shot will deviate. ‘Staggered release’ is your fingers discharging the string unevenly, which happens every now and then even with the seasoned hunters. A bow release eliminates the chance, discharges the string evenly and more importantly, let you concentrate only on the shooting.
Also, using bow release will help you avoid tender or hard-skinned finger. While the release is taking the toll, the only thing you need to care about is hitting the target.
Type Of Bow Release
Mainly, there are two types of release. Mechanical and non-mechanical. Their mechanical release is mostly used, though non-mechanical releases are still on the market.
There are 4 types of bow release according to grip style. Wrist, handheld, tension and T-handle/thumb switch. The first two are more popular.
- The Wrist Type: Wrist type also known as caliper release is most widely used and popular among hunters. This release consists of three parts, caliper, middle part and wrist strap. The wrist strap gets wrapped around your wrist and takes the most weight. The middle part connects the other two and the caliper grips the string and initiates either firing or trigger mechanism.
- The Handheld Type: The handheld is simpler and easy to use. This is a T shaped structure which does not have any strap. The hunter needs to hold it in his hand. The release of the string is done by the thumb. Many hunters feel comfortable in it as it provides less jumpiness than the other types.
- The Tension Type: The tension style and T-handle types are more like for experienced users. When the string is pulled, the tension style requires reaching a specific tension point until it releases the string.
- The T Handle/Thumb Switch Type: The T handle type depends on the user’s strength. The user holds it between the index and middle finger and uses his thumb for releasing the string. Some models come with back tension mechanism instead of the thumb.
What Look To When Buying The Best Bow Release
Make sure the bow release you purchase is compatible with your bow. Bowstrings can be used in many ways. You can use either D-loop, or metal fastener, or metal knock. Whatever style you use to make sure the release goes with that just fine.
One of the characteristics of the best bow release is it can be customized according to the user’s preference. Hand size defers from person to person, so does the comfortable size. As for wrist types, make sure the length is comfy for you. You do not want to strain your hand when pulling the string. However, you can adjust the length as wrist types allow that.
As for handheld, see if the angle and distance of the trigger are convenient for you. Also, having the option to adjust the trigger sensitivity will provide you greater control.
If you want to concentrate on the shooting only, you need hydraulic release mechanism for your bow. The mechanism releases the string after a specific tension point, or after a specific time. You can get this type of mechanism with wrist style or handheld style, but they tend to be pricier. However, nothing beats comfort, right?
Comfort depends on how much you are habituated with your own bow release. Generally speaking, the wrist types are comfier as they put more weight on the wrist instead of palms, evenly split. Also, they come with padding to protect your wrist from getting sore.
Some people like the handheld type more, as they can practice more control. However, nowadays handheld types come with great ergonomic designs that suits your hand.
As the surrounding of a hunting place has very distinguished sounds, any unnatural sound can spook your game easily. You don’t want your bow release to make a sound when you pull the string or wear it.
The wrist type, more specifically the Velcro type might make some noise when you wear it or pull it. Make sure you have a silent one. Also, the click sound coming from a trigger can do the same. Hopefully, our top picks can help you with the selection of truly silent ones.
Target Panic Cure
This might happen especially to beginners. This refers to the inability to use the trigger (thumb or index) when the right moment comes. If this is the case, a handheld release with back tension mechanism will help. As it doesn’t rely on the user pulling the trigger.
The best bow release for hunting depends on individual preference. Same goes for the handheld type, other goes for the wrist strap type. Whatever your preference is, never go for any cheap, cut-rate bow release just because you think it won’t matter. It might become valuable during the shooting. This small decision can even affect your whole hunting trip.
Always, keep another one as a backup. You can go for cheap ones as a backup. In case you forget your release in the car or it fails, it will prove helpful to have another one.
We hope our list was helpful for you. They are the best of the market right now, and they justify the price. Let us know which one worked out for you. Happy Hunting!